1 Corinthians 6:12-20
God alone is the author and definer of human sexuality and the context in which sexual intimacy is to occur. Sex, sexual identity, and sexuality were created for His purpose and to advance His Kingdom. Just like highways have guardrails to ensure that we safely reach our destination as planned, God has placed the guardrail of marriage around sex. Sex inside of marriage is a part of His planned program for sexual expression in history, for reproduction and pleasure that occurs between husband and wife. We can see God’s intent for sex from the beginning. God told Adam and Eve to be fruitful and multiply so that the earth would be filled with men and women who could reflect His image, character, love, and glory.
In opposition to God, Satan, from the beginning, has sought to create confusion around sexual identity and sexual expression through deception. The enemy took God’s definition and purpose for human sexuality, distorted it, and gave the world a counterfeit copy of the divinely perfect plan for sex. Unfortunately, our culture has accepted Satan’s false version of sexuality as true, redefined the purpose of sexual intimacy, and completely removed God from His original design for sex. Why? Because the enemy knows that sexual intimacy outside of marriage is sin, and sin separates us from God.
We must understand and keep God’s standard for human sexuality within the guardrails of marriage. The world encourages everyone to define truth for themselves; however, as followers of Jesus Christ, we define truth by God’s Word. Marriage is a divinely created institution, and it should be promoted as the only pathway to sexual intimacy. When our culture disagrees with God’s definition and context for sexuality, we must align ourselves with His divine standard and bring God’s truth to the matter with gentle, kind, and forgiving hearts. We should encourage one another, in love, to pursue sexuality God’s way.
- The world continually offers its definition of sexual identity and expression. Share examples of where you see the enemy at work in the culture through media, music, and culture.
- What would you say if you could talk to the younger and less mature version of yourself?
Let’s Get Personal
- How do your current beliefs about sexual expression align with our culture’s definition of sexuality? How do your beliefs align with God’s truth?
- In what ways do your beliefs need to change so that you can consistently operate in sync with God’s Word?
- How has operating outside God’s view and standard for sexuality impacted your life?
Take the Next Step
- What area(s) of your life need more evaluation regarding God’s definition of sexual identity, sexual expression, and sexual intimacy? Who holds you accountable to honor God’s standard for sexuality?
- How can you encourage those who struggle with sexuality to walk in alignment with God’s Word? What does bringing God’s truth in love with gentle, kind, and forgiving hearts look like from day to day? Give an example of what you can do or say to encourage someone today.
- Are you praying about this area of your life? Are you praying for others you know struggling in this area? Take time to pray individually or with your small group.
- Want to go deeper? Take time to look at the following passages: Genesis 6:1-8; Genesis 19:1-29; Genesis 39:1-23; Leviticus 18:1-30; Job 31:1; Song of Soloman 4:1-16; Matthew 5:27-28; Matthew 15:19; John 8:1-11; 1 Corinthians 6:9; 1 Thessalonians 4:1-8; Romans 1:18-27; 2 Peter 2:14; Revelations 2:18-29.
Renew Your Mind
“For this is the will of God, your sanctification; that is, that you abstain from sexual immorality; that each of you know how to possess his own vessel in sanctification and honor, not in lustful passion, like the Gentiles who do not know God…”
1 Thessalonians 4:3-5