Houses built on slab foundations can have particular disadvantages, especially in North Texas; the clay soil expands when exposed to moisture. The expansion of the ground causes the upheaval of the slab, which can lead to cracks in the foundation. These cracks are costly to restore for those living in the house, but they must be addressed before the house collapses. The foundation of our families should be built on divine ownership and safeguarded by men. We can see the effects of men and their families not submitting to God in the fragmentation of society today. Men must submit to God’s ownership to restore order to the chaos in the world.
Men need divine ownership over their lives because the chaos in society has destabilized the family, the church, and the culture. The cause of this chaos is primarily tied to the failure or absence of men. When men abandon their roles, families disintegrate. In church, women are depended upon to lead—apart from a few select positions—because men will not volunteer. This limits the impact the church can make. Men have been called to rule under God and serve as the foundation for how things work. Since God’s covenant is transferred through men, they ought to be the ones keeping the divine framework operating in the family and the world.
We will remain in chaos unless we return to the biblical definition and framework of manhood. The Lord gives us the strength to ward off the evil desires of apathy, a lack of leadership and false ideas of masculinity when we intentionally discipline ourselves to lean on God’s commands for the reason He designed the family. We must know what the Bible says about all aspects of our role as men. But knowing the Word is not enough. We must apply it. Application of God’s Word activates its power in our lives and the structures for which we are responsible. Nothing is more crucial than our need for God’s Word.
- What problems can arise from a shifting or cracked foundation in any kind of structure?
- What are some good and bad examples of how the culture portrays the role of men?
Let’s Get Personal
- How have society’s false ideas of masculinity affected you and your family?
- How have you been impacted personally by the failure or absence of men in your life?
- As a man, how are you lacking in fulfilling your role? As a woman, how are you helping or hindering the key men in your life to fulfill their role?
Take the Next Step
- How will you apply this week what you learned from this message about the biblical role of men?
- Who can you begin to train up in his divine calling as a man? A son? A nephew? A new Christian at your workplace? A close friend? Pray for opportunities to encourage the men in your life to operate according to the biblical definition of manhood.
- Want to go deeper? Take time to look at the following passages: Matthew 7:24-27; Genesis 2:7-20; Genesis 3:9, 17; Genesis 18:17-19; Exodus 34:23-24; 1 Chronicles 4:9-10; Acts 3:1-10; Ezekiel 22:30; Psalm 25:12-14; 1 Corinthians 16:13: Jeremiah 17:5-8; Ezra 10:1-4, 9, 16; 1 Corinthians 11:3.
Renew Your Mind
“Therefore everyone who hears these words of Mine and acts on them, may be compared to a wise man who built his house on the rock.”