1 Peter 2:9-12
“Charlie’s Angels” originated as a television series and was later adapted into a successful blockbuster movie. The show and the movie both featured three young women who fearlessly placed themselves in harm’s way to promote good in society on behalf of their mysterious employer, Charlie. What’s fascinating is that despite their unwavering loyalty, they had never met Charlie in person! He remained invisible to them, yet they remained dedicated to carrying out his orders. When they received a call from Charlie with instructions, they would go out to represent his interests, even if it meant putting themselves in perilous situations. They were known as Charlie’s Angels and were committed to following his directives and doing whatever it takes to accomplish their mission.
The word “angel” in the Bible means a messenger, derived from the Greek word “Angelos”, which denotes serving as a messenger for someone else. As representatives of the Kingdom, we hold the distinguished honor of serving as official agents of Christ’s person and principles in the world. As ambassadors of heaven on earth, we must possess a heavenly perspective in an earthly environment. When we receive the calling to serve as “Christ’s Angels,” we are empowered by the Holy Spirit to represent His person and fulfill His purposes. Like the characters in “Charlie’s Angels,” we are tasked with carrying out Christ’s mission on earth by proclaiming the Gospel of Jesus Christ and sharing His greatness and glory with others.
By being obedient in spreading the message of Jesus Christ, we display the commission, character, and communication of Christ. As the public testimony and witness for Christ, we embody His call to serve as “Christ’s Angels” – His heavenly representatives on earth.
- Have you ever blindly pledged your allegiance or loyalty to someone or some cause? What did that look like?
- Have you ever traveled internationally and needed someone else to be your messenger because you didn’t speak the language? How important was it for them to speak on your behalf?
Let’s Get Personal
- Describe a time when you had to take a stance on God’s word. How did you feel? Uncomfortable? Confident? Afraid? Content?
- What benefits are likely to come from being an agent for Christ?
- What challenges have you experienced standing for Christ but still living in the culture?
Take the Next Step
- What barriers or distractions do you need to remove in your life so you can have a heavenly perspective in an earthly environment?
- Can others tell that you are a Kingdom Representative? Why or why not?
- Want to go deeper? Take time to look at the following passages: Philippians 3:20; Matthew 5:13-16; 1 John 2:15-17; 2 Corinthians 5:16-21; Matthew 28:16-20; Acts 1:8; 1 John 4:17; Titus 2:7; Titus 2:14; Titus 3:1, Titus 8; Titus 14; Luke 4:14-19; Exodus 19:5-6
Renew Your Mind
“For our citizenship is in heaven, from which also we eagerly wait for a Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ”