We are living during a time where we are witnessing a great spiritual pandemic. This pandemic involves the promotion of independence from God and a unified rebellion against God. The people of Jesus Christ must unify to actively engage this world in relocating God and a biblical worldview as the central focus of culture and society.
In communities all over the nation, there is a shattering of hopes, dreams, properties, lives, communities and classes. There is warfare across cultural, political and socioeconomic borders, and people are looking to fix this problem. They cannot do so until they understand the origin of the issue at hand. Beneath all the visible, experiential pandemics, there is an unseen spiritual pandemic. If this spiritual pandemic is not addressed, then we will not have the cultural glue needed to bring health and healing to our communities. Ephesians 6:10-18 makes it clear that everything visible and physical is preceded by that which is invisible. The calamity we face today is because there is an unaddressed spiritual issue, and it is up to the church to address the problems of today.
In Genesis 11, God commanded mankind to scatter and fill the Earth. This would have resulted in a variety of nations across the globe and a divine dependence on Him. However, the people of Babel made a declaration of independence from God – a direct opposition to God’s direction. They desired to consolidate their power and assert their own independence. They wanted to build a civilization without God, which inherently would result in the removal of the creature/creator distinction. They also wanted to use technology to advance civilization so that God was no longer necessary. Ultimately, the people desired the humanistic distinction by building a city without God. They wanted a name for themselves without being defined by their relationship with God. But human sovereignty, independence and ‘mortality’ that leaves God out is rebellion.
The people of Babel were operating in unified rebellion, and we, in society today, are watching the same thing happen in real-time. While God delegated the rule of history to mankind, we have a choice to rule with Him and under Him, or in rebellion against Him. As a people, we have lost our focus and commitment to God, so everything is out of order. God does not want unity apart from Him. The good news is that today He is still closer than we can imagine. It is time for the church to lead the way to relocate our God because, as Acts 17:27 tells us, “He is not far from any one of us.”
- How is the current physical, social, and spiritual pandemic affecting your personal communities? What are the positive and negative impacts that you see?
- After hearing this week’s sermon, discuss the difference between homocracy and theocracy? When looking at your life, which viewpoint shapes your everyday decisions?
Let’s Get Personal
- What spiritual issues have you left unaddressed that need your attention? In what ways do you think the church should address the spiritual problems of our day?
- It was God’s desire for His people to scatter and fill the Earth to encourage divine dependence. Are you personally operating dependent on or independent of God?
- In the Bible story about the tower of Babel, the people wanted to use technology to build a civilization without God – erasing the creature/creator distinction. How has technology allowed you to build your life apart from God?
Take the Next Step
- The people of Babel intended to make a name for themselves and refused to accept their God-given name and role. Based on what you heard in this week’s sermon, what does it look like for you to acknowledge God’s name and role for you?
- How are the recent events providing a divine disruption and opportunity for you to connect with God’s will and purpose for your life?
- Want to go deeper? Take a look at the following passages: Ephesians 6:10-18; Acts 17:27; Genesis 1:26; 2:20; 9:1-2, 7; Revelation 13:15-18; Daniel 4:26; James 4:8; 2 Chronicles 7:14.
Renew Your Mind
“Draw near to God and He will draw near to you.”