Prayer is like the National Anthem before a football game for many of us. It gets the game started but has no connection with what’s happening on the field and is more courtesy. However, prayer is not to be an empty, meaningless religious formality. Prayer is relational communication with God, and He wants us to relate to Him through prayer, not just carry on a formality. When we relate to God, we connect and partner with Him to bring Heaven’s provision to earth.
When we relate to God, it should be based on who He is (the Father) and what He is like (perfection). The more we know about Him, the more we can pray intelligently. God wants Heaven to manifest in history based on His word to accomplish His will. We must consider how God rules and His will regarding that rule as we pray. We ask these questions so that we can make decisions consistent with Heaven as we pray to Him about our needs on earth.
When we consider the provisions of prayer, we understand prayer recognizes God as the source for meeting our physical needs, pardoning sin and protection from satan. He is the source for us to operate on earth while fulfilling His will from heaven. When we pray, we start with acknowledging the person of God: ‘Our Father, who is in Heaven, Hallowed by Your name.’Matt. 6:9 and we finish with the praise of God: ‘For Yours is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever.’ Matt. 6:13. And in doing so, we recognize that our needs are met between the start and finish.
- When are the times that you are most likely to pray? Are these times a routine practice for you?
- What new principle did you learn about prayer this week? How will this knowledge affect your prayer life
Let’s Get Personal
- How do you relate to the person of God? Do you see Him as your father? Do you see Him as the standard of perfection?
- What challenges do you have with prayer and relating to the personhood of God?
- In what ways do you fail to recognize God as your source for meeting physical life needs?
Take the Next Step
- What steps are you taking to prioritize God’s program of prayer so that His rule can manifest in your life?
- In what areas of your life are you willing to surrender to prayer so that God may be the source of your physical life needs, pardon sin, and protection from satan?
- Want to go deeper? Take time to look at the following passages: 2 Kings 20:1-11; Matthew 18:19-20; 1 Thessalonians 5:17; Ephesians 6:18; John 16:23-27; Mark 11:20-26; Luke 11:5-13; Luke 7:1-10; James 5:13-18; Ephesians 3:13-21; Luke 18:1-8; Ephesians 1:15-23
Renew Your Mind
With every prayer and request, pray at all times in the Spirit, and with this in view, be alert with perseverance and every request for all the saints.”