1 Corinthians 11:3-15
In a movie or on television, many of us have heard someone say, “You’re out of order!” This phrase often references someone breaking the rules of order in a courtroom. Judges are qualified to make this statement because they know how a courtroom should function, and they have a sworn duty to enforce the rules. In the same way, God is our judge, and He is a God of order. As such, He has a divinely prescribed manner in which His courtroom should operate.
The Trinity itself functions according to divine order, as God is the head of Christ, His Son. The church is meant to operate according to His divine order and to demonstrate this divine order to society. God also created the family to operate according to His divine order. The church and the family follow the same pattern laid out in the Trinity: God is the head of Christ, Christ is the head of the church, and the husband is the head of his wife (1 Cor 11:3). When the family and the church are in spiritual alignment, God’s legal system is working properly. When the family and the church are not in spiritual alignment, then they are working against the courtroom, against the judge and against the victory they need.
God’s divine order is the way He legally provides spiritual authority and spiritual covering for His people. Still, so many of God’s people are operating out of order. While we desire order in our businesses, relationships, finances, and so many other areas, we often resist doing things God’s way. If we would submit to His authority and follow His rules, we would enjoy spiritual covering, protection and blessing while also avoiding God’s divine judgment. Even when Satan tries to interfere, we would be covered by the spiritual authority God has given us. Operating in God’s divine order is an act of obedience that believers should take seriously in order to walk in God’s prescribed design for living.
- What are some famous courtroom scenes from movies?
- How do people typically view a judge? Does this affect how they view God?
Let’s Get Personal
- How are you operating in alignment with God’s order? How are you operating out of alignment with God’s order?
- In what areas is it hardest for you to submit to authority? In the workplace? In your family? At church? Regarding government authorities?
- What spiritual blessings or victories are you most hoping for right now? Is your lack of alignment with God’s court system standing in the way of you receiving those blessings?
Take the Next Step
- What do you need to do to put yourself back in alignment with God’s divine order? How do you need to submit to His authority?
- Is there anything you have done to someone in defiance of God’s order that you need to seek forgiveness for? Can you go to that person (or those people) and ask for forgiveness this week?
- Want to go deeper? Take time to look at the following passages: Isaiah 3:12; Luke 7:2-10; Romans 13:1-5; 1 Corinthians 7:5, 14; 14:40; Ephesians 3:10; Colossians 1:18; 1 Timothy 2:11-14; Titus 3:1; Hebrews 13:17; 1 Peter 2:13; 3:7; and Jude 1:6, 9.
Renew Your Mind
“But I want you to understand that Christ is the head of every man, and the man is the head of a woman, and God is the head of Christ.”
1 Corinthians 11:3