EARLY DETECTION SAVES LIVES!
A primary goal of the Health & Wellness Ministry is early detection for our members and community through appropriate medical screenings.
To help encourage women to get yearly mammograms, the Health and Wellness Ministry offers free mobile mammograms in the spring and fall through partnerships with Methodist Health System mobile unit, UT Southwestern, and Parkland Health and Hospital System.
We encourage women who fall in the categories below to take advantage of this medical service:
- Women without health insurance
- Women of all ages with a family history of breast cancer
- Women 35 and older with no unusual breast symptoms, breast implants or prior history of breast cancer, and at least one full year from their last normal screening mammogram
The mobile mammography units bring advanced breast cancer screening technology along with a friendly, all-female staff to our church campus. Test results are provided by the health care organization.
Prostate cancer is found mainly in older men. Prostate cancer occurs more often in African Americans than in other ethnic groups. African American men with prostate cancer are more likely to die from the disease than white men with prostate cancer.
Risk factors for prostate cancer include the following:
- Being 50 years of age or older
- Being African American
- Having a brother, son, or father who had prostate cancer
- Eating a diet high in fat or drinking alcoholic beverages
Members and non-members may take advantage of the FREE prostate screening each fall. It is suggested that men get screened if:
- You are between 38-75 years of age and have never been diagnosed with prostate cancer and have not been screened for prostate cancer within the past 12 months; or
- You have a history of prostate cancer in your family
The prostate cancer screening is performed by certified personnel from Methodist Hospital through its Prostate Cancer Program and takes place in designated rooms in the Worship Center. Download the free publication Prostate Cancer Screening: A Decision Guide for African Americans.
High Blood Pressure
Free high blood pressure checks are offered to our members the first Sunday of every month after each service in the Worship Center medical room and performed by medically qualified Health and Wellness volunteers. Results are shared on the spot.
Other Medical Screenings
Throughout the year, the Health and Wellness Ministry offers medical screenings for glucose and cholesterol. Check our Events Calendar for dates and locations for medical screenings.