1 Chronicles 14:8-17
Believers should seek to get spiritual clarity through prayer as they listen for God to speak to them. Because of spiritual warfare, we should prioritize our need to hear God’s voice. In doing this, we can receive spiritual guidance and clarity regarding His direction for our lives. It can be easy for an individual to be stuck or static because of the difficulty we often face as we fight spiritual battles and face the opposition of the enemy. God wants to guide us through His Word and the leading of the Holy Spirit.
We are spiritual creatures; however, we operate in the natural realm. We have limited information without the impact of God’s view and His thoughts about the earthly decisions we must make. We have to stay in communication with God because it’s possible His specific instructions to us may change from situation to situation. His Word doesn’t change, but the application of His Word in our lives in various seasons very well could change. Ongoing communication with God over time, and throughout different seasons, is important. How God worked in our lives yesterday may not be the same as how He wants to work in our lives today.
In order to hear God’s voice, there is a requirement: we have to have open lines of communication. Prayer is the point of contact between the physical and the spiritual, and it helps us to seek fulfillment of our requests within the will of God. Our diligence in prayer results in the opportunity to receive anointed and divinely inspired illumination. Our goal in prayer is to align our desires to God’s will. In giving God our attention, He can speak to our minds and hearts, giving us direction for our unique circumstances. When we position ourselves through prayer to hear God’s voice, He gives us spiritual direction in our thinking, spiritual power in our obedience, and spiritual victory in our battles.
- Many people talk about hearing from God, but mean different things in terms of how they hear from God. Whether you think you hear from God or not, what do you think it looks like to hear from God? How do you think someone knows when they have heard from God?
- Even among believers, people who want to hear from God say they struggle to do so. Why do you this is?
Let’s Get Personal
- Have you experienced receiving God’s guidance as you’ve prayed? Share that experience with your group.
- Is prayer a priority in your life? What does prioritized prayer look like in practical terms as you incorporate it in your life?
- Many people feel stuck in their lives because of the battle that they are facing or the crisis in front of them is bigger than what they feel they can handle. Have you ever felt this way? If prayer is an option, have you used this tool for fighting spiritual battles? Why or why not?
Take the Next Step
- Ongoing communication with God requires intentionality. We lead busy lives with interruption and distraction. What distraction can you move to hear God’s voice more clearly?
- How will your prayer life change in light of this message? How did the message convict you and how will you incorporate a new priority of prayer in your life?
- Want to go deeper? Take a look at the following passages: 2 Kings 6:14-17; Psalm 34:4-7; John 14:26; 16:13; Acts 13:22; 1 Corinthians 2:9-16; 1 John 2:20
Renew Your Mind
“I sought the Lord, and He answered me, and delivered me from all my fears.”