1 Corinthians 2:9-16
At the most basic level, radio waves are wireless transmissions of information in any form—data, audio or video. Without radio waves, our lives would be dramatically different. We wouldn’t have cell phones, radios, baby monitors, microwaves, garage door openers or many other things. If we want to have practical day-to-day insight for living, we must depend on this invisible wave for both the basic and complex fulfillment of our needs.
Much like a radio wave, God gives divine insight to believers who are in tune with the Holy Spirit. As believers of God’s Word, we are afforded spiritual understanding when we connect to His heavenly wave. God’s spiritual illuminations are available to us when we love Him, operate by the Holy Spirit and reject worldly wisdom. The spirit of the world can’t help us, for spiritual truth isn’t taught by human wisdom (vv. 12-13).
People who love God but practice worldly thinking will not have full access to the things of God. Using worldly thinking and desiring to experience revelation is like trying to connect your television to a signal when you don’t have the right equipment. Similarly, a person without the spirit (i.e., a non-believer) cannot receive what comes from God at all. God withholds spiritual insight from non-believers. Spiritual insight is rejected, confusing and often unavailable because non-believers don’t have the proper mechanism to take in divine insight.
When you have the proper mechanism to receive spiritual insight as a believer in the Lord Jesus Christ, God gives you enhanced spiritual capacity. This capacity results in enhanced divine receptivity, perceptivity and connectivity. Our ability to receive God’s Word and understand how it relates to His people presents an opportunity for connectivity at a higher level. If you are not spiritually in tune, you will be like the non-believer: you won’t have the ability to pick up the signal from heaven, and you will miss the opportunity to connect with God on a higher spiritual level.
- Do you have spiritual insight? Why or Why not?
- How should your prayers change in light of this message?
Let’s Get Personal
- What worldly wisdom is hindering you from receiving spiritual insight?
- In what ways do you see spiritual insight withheld from non-believers?
- How are you intentionally sharing the gospel with unbelievers so they can receive the mechanism that will allow them to have divine insight?
Take the Next Step
- How has God enhanced your spiritual capacity as you’ve grown in Him?
- Share the one action you will commit to this week, to enhance your spiritual capacity, so you can intentionally operate on the same wavelength that manifests the mind of Christ.
- What believer can you pray for this week who needs to commit to their walk with God so they can get in tune with the Holy Spirit and experience greater spiritual capacity?
- Want to dig deeper? Take a look at the following passages: Isaiah 40:13; Malachi 3:18; Luke 24:13-32; 2 Corinthians 3:17-18; 10:5; Hebrews 5: 11-14; 1 John 2:20, 27.
Renew Your Mind
“For who has known the mind of the Lord, that he will instruct Him? But we have the mind of Christ.”
1 Corinthians 2:16