Most believers want to see heaven act on their behalf, but actually experiencing heaven on earth requires that we understand the context in which this can happen. In John 1, Nathaniel made an effort to know more about Jesus by making the trip to see Him for himself. Not long after arriving in Jesus’ presence, Nathaniel discovered that Jesus knew much about him already. The revelation that he desired about Christ came from being in personal contact with Jesus. If you want to experience more of Christ in your life and know what it is to have heaven open for you, there must be personal contact with Jesus Christ – both to His person and His Word.
Along with your personal commitment and connection to Jesus, heaven opening in your life and for your life requires confession. Nathaniel confessed and affirmed Jesus’ person. He believed Jesus’ Word, and this enabled him to see the promise of Jesus’ authority. He was able to see what God could do from Heaven in history. Knowing Jesus more creates more opportunities to trust Him deeper. In John 1:51, Jesus told Nathaniel that he would see the heavens open and see the Son of man descending upon a ladder, implying that Nathaniel would witness the opening of heaven and the miraculous ascension of Christ. When you walk with Jesus personally and confess His Lordship in your life, you position yourself to have a greater opportunity to see God do the supernatural in your natural everyday life.
God has the power to reverse the normal order of things. The very next chapter of John gives us the story of Jesus turning water into wine. He used the natural (water) to bring about the supernatural (wine). Because the disciples were close to Jesus, they were able to witness a miracle. Walking close to Jesus is worth it. A relationship with Christ doesn’t guarantee that God will grant every request we ask of Him—or when He does grant our request, that He will do it in the timing we would like. However, walking with the Lord does give us an excellent opportunity to know Him, to be changed by Him and to experience the supernatural as Heaven comes down in our lives.
- Have you ever experienced the supernatural? If so, spend some time remembering that experience and pondering what you learned from it. Share that experience with your group.
- What do you think it means to have heaven open in your life?
Let’s Get Personal
- Based on Nathaniel’s experience in John 1, what do you think it should look like for you to “come to Jesus”?
- In what tangible ways are you making the effort to draw closer to Jesus, to know the Bible and to walk in obedience to His instructions in the Word?
- In what ways do you need the Lord to supernaturally intervene in your life? Have you been praying about it and asking Him to do so? Take some time right now to inquire of the Lord about your need or desire. Share your concern in your group and pray for one another.
Take the Next Step
- On a scale of 1 to 10 (with one being the farthest away), how would you rate your proximity to Jesus? Based on your answer, what do you think you can do to draw closer? Will doing so change your experience with God?
- Want to dig deeper? Take a look at the following passages: Genesis 28:10-17; Matthew 10:32-33; John 2:1-11, 23-25; Colossians 3:1-2
Renew Your Mind
“And He said to him, ‘Truly, truly, I say to you, you will see heaven opened and the angels of God ascending and descending on the Son of Man.’”