Now she who is a widow indeed and who has been left alone, has fixed her hope on God and continues in entreaties and prayers night and day. 1 Timothy 5:5
In 1999, the Counseling Ministry of Oak Cliff Bible Fellowship formed a support group for widows led by Betty Guy with the support of Lois Daniels and Ida Daughtry. Josephine Makil was recruited to provide spiritual impact and encouragement to the widows of the support group.
The name ‘Women of Courage’ was chosen and with many activities since its inception, the Women of Courage Widow’s Support Group has grown for 4 original members to over 100 widows from all around the Dallas metroplex.
The OCBF Women of Courage Widows Support Group gives support to women who have lost their husbands by bringing them new hopes, new dreams and new beginnings, leading to a renewed spirit. It serves as a resource for widows coping with the new demands on their daily lives as a result of losing their spouses. Each new widow develops courage to overcome the tragedy of losing her husband so that she grows spiritually and is able to fulfill God’s purpose in her life.
The Women of Courage Widow Support Group seeks:
- To facilitate a healthy transition to singlehood through structured social activities, informational seminars and the identification of resources to assist with everyday tasks.
- To provide fellowship activities.
- To sponsor small group sessions to address the process of grief and share common grief experiences.
- To foster bonding within the group.
- To equip widows with biblical principles and skills to cope with their new and unique emotional, spiritual, social and physical challenges.
- Progressive Dinner
- Game Night
- Ladies Who Lunch
- The Gift of Christmas Program at Prestonwood Baptist Church
- WOC Christmas Party
- For Us Small Group
- Josephine Makil Annual Tea
- Free at Last Grief Support Group
- Family & Friends Picnic
- Seminars on Various Topics
- Travel Opportunities
- Volunteering at the Ronald McDonald House
- American Heart Association Annual Heart Walk
To make a donation to the Widow's Fund click here. Sign in and specify
Widow's Fund ONLY.
4343 W Camp Wisdom Rd #230
Dallas, TX 75237
(at the corner of Cockrell Hill & W Camp Wisdom).
Click here for maps and directions
You can contact us by calling us at 214-672-9100, ext. 9152