The following terms are used as part of the Strategic Leadership Initiative planning phase. The process will include providing an overview of specialized terms that are customarily used to facilitate implementation of a Balanced Scorecard including, but not limited to, strategy maps, targets and measures.
Mission Statement: A mission statement answers the question, “Why do you exist?"
The mission is a broad statement of the roadmap to the future. The mission is about the present. A good mission statement should answer three questions:
- What are you trying to accomplish?
- Who will benefit?
- How it will be done?
Core Values and Beliefs: Values are the shared beliefs that guide our decision-making and actions.
Strategic Goals: Goals are broad statements that define what an organization is trying to accomplish programmatically and organizationally. See www.Web-Books.com.
Outcomes: Outcomes are the results the organization wants to achieve. They are specific, measurable, attainable, realistic and time-specific. Outcomes must be:
- Be related directly to the goal;
- Be clear, concise, and understandable; Be stated in terms of results; (4)
- Begin with an action verb;
- Specify a date for accomplishment; and
- Be measurable.
- Internal Processes: What business processes must we excel at?
- Customer: How should we appear to our customers?
- Financial: How should we appear to our shareholders?
- Learning & Growth: How will we sustain our ability to change and improve?
- Outcome (Lag) measures
- Driver (Lead) measures
- Set and communicate the expected performance level
- Focus on improvement
- Motivate, not control or constrain
Milestones: Milestones are typically progress points along the way to achieving the larger targets.
- Strategic Planning Home
- Strategic Plan Schedule
- Glossary of Terms
- Sample Metrics
- Balanced Scorecard Matrix Template
- Strategic Maps in Process
- Strategic Plan Initiative Action Steps
- Expert Knowledge Inventory
- Training Needs Analysis
Measuring What Matters
New Testament Ministry Metrics