Monitor and supervise aquatic activities. Ensure adherence to the policies, guidelines, and safety procedures and respond to emergencies in a timely manner.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
(Other duties may be assigned)
- Open pool and close pool each day, according to the hours of operation.
- Monitor pool-related activities closely throughout assigned shift and identify any safety issues.
- Warns swimmers of improper activities and enforces pool regulations and water safety policies.
- Monitor weather reports closely to ensure safely of guests.
- Evaluates conditions for safety and initiates aquatics emergency action plan as required.
- Maintain clean environment in and around the pool areas.
- Inspects pool facilities, equipment, and water to ensure they are safe and usable.
- Assists in cleaning the pool and related facilities and equipment.
- Uses previous records to assists with chlorine residual water tests.
- Treat pool with appropriate concentration of chemicals on regular schedule.
- Organize and oversee all pool activities, including swimming lessons.
- Provide assistance to guests when appropriate and necessary.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
Attendance/Punctuality – Is consistently at work and on time. Ensure work responsibilities are covered when absent. Arrive at meetings and appointments on time.
Computer Skills – Working knowledge of Microsoft Office products with strong word processing and data entry skills.
Customer Service – Must have excellent customer service skills when dealing with the public, including both OCBF and non-OCBF members. Manage difficult or emotional customer situations. Respond promptly to customer needs. Solicit customer feedback to improve service. Respond to requests for service and assistance.
Dependability – Use time appropriately and wisely. Follow instructions and respond to management direction. Accept responsibility for own actions.
Diversity – Demonstrate knowledge of EEO policy. Show respect and sensitivity for cultural differences. Demonstrate the ability to address the various learning styles of students. Educate others on the value of diversity.
Ethics – Inspire the trust of others by keeping commitments and working with integrity and ethically. Uphold organizational goals.
Interpersonal Skills – The ability to communicate and establish effective working relationships with all levels of people, conveying a genuine concern for their needs and a desire to provide exceptional service, is essential for this position. Focus on solving conflict, not blaming. Approach others in a tactful manner by demonstrating respect and consideration regardless of their status or position. Maintain confidentiality. Listen to others without interrupting. Keep emotions under control.
Mathematical Skills – Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry. Present numerical data effectively.
Oral Communication – Ability to communicate primarily in English. Speak clearly and persuasively in positive and/or negative situations. Listen and get clarification in order to respond to questions and assess needs accurately.
Planning/Organizing – Prioritize and plan work activities. Plan for additional resources. Set goals and objectives. Develop realistic action plans.
Problem Solving – Identify and resolve problems in a timely manner and demonstrate the ability to develop alternative solutions. Work well in group problem solving situations.
Professionalism – Approach others in a tactful manner by showing respect and consideration regardless of status or position. React well under pressure by keeping emotions under control.
Reasoning Ability – Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form.
Safety and Security – Observe safety and security procedures. Report potentially unsafe conditions. Use equipment and materials properly.
Technical Skills – Assess own strengths and weaknesses. Pursue training and development opportunities. Strive to continuously build knowledge and skills. Share expertise with others.
Teamwork – Balance team and individual responsibilities. Exhibit objectivity and openness to others’ views and ideas and is willing to try new things. Give and welcomes feedback. Contribute to building a positive team spirit. Put success of team above own interests. Able to build morale and group commitments to goals and objectives. Support everyone’s efforts to succeed.
Written Communication – Write routine reports and other correspondence clearly and informatively and can vary writing style to meet needs. Edit work for spelling and grammar. Able to read and interpret written information, primarily in English.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Swimming proficiency and comfort in all types of water conditions;
- Ability to judge and evaluate participation in aquatic activities and immediately assess swimmers capabilities and threats to their safety;
- Previous lifeguard experience (preferred);
- Knowledge of on-site protocols, operational procedures, and safety policies;
- Flexible schedule required.
Education and/or Experience
High school diploma or general education degree (GED); six months related experience and/or training; current and valid American Red Cross Lifeguard Training Certification; current and valid First Aid and CPR certifications (ARC or AHA).
All employees are expected to commit to Christ and to the philosophy, ministry and vision of OCBF and to help the church to meet the spiritual, social, emotional and physical needs of the church family.
Members are asked to commit to:
- Consciously pursuing spiritual growth by participating in the vital experience of the church (Education, Fellowship, Outreach and Worship).
- Faithfully give at least 10% of their income to the ministry of OCBF.
- Faithfully serve in one of the ministries of the church in a volunteer capacity.
- Agree to read and function under the guidelines and authority of the Church Constitution and By-Laws.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.