Performs and oversees a variety of cooking, food preparation, and serving for the ministry.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
(Other duties may be assigned)
- Prepare a variety of meats, seafood, poultry, vegetables, and other food items for cooking in broilers, ovens, grills, fryers and a variety of other kitchen appliances.
- Prepare items for broiling, grilling, frying, sautéing or other cooking methods by portioning, battering, breading, seasoning and/or marinating.
- Prepare, setup, and serve staff, members, guests, and catered events.
- Portion food products prior to cooking according to standard portion sizes and recipe specifications.
- Maintain a clean and sanitary work station area including shelves and cooking equipment.
- Know and comply consistently with our standard portion sizes, cooking methods, quality standards and kitchen rules, policies and procedures.
- Assume 100% responsibility for quality of products served.
- Handle, store, and rotate all products properly.
- Assist the Food Service Supervisor in preparing a monthly inventory of all items in stock in the kitchen dry storage and freezer.
- Close the kitchen properly and follow the closing checklist for kitchen stations. Assist others in closing the kitchen.
- Provide excellent customer service to all patrons.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
Attendance/Punctuality – Is consistently at work and on time. Ensure work responsibilities are covered when absent. Arrive at meetings and appointments on time.
Customer Service – Manage difficult or emotional customer situations. Respond promptly to customer needs. Solicit customer feedback to improve service. Respond to requests for service and assistance.
Dependability – Use time appropriately and wisely. Follow instructions and respond to management direction. Accept responsibility for own actions.
Diversity – Demonstrate knowledge of EEO policy. Show respect and sensitivity for cultural differences. Educate others on the value of diversity.
Ethics – Inspire the trust of others by keeping commitments and working with integrity and ethically. Uphold organizational goals.
Interpersonal Skills – Focus on solving conflict, not blaming. Approach others in a tactful manner by demonstrating respect and consideration regardless of their status or position. Maintain confidentiality. Listen to others without interrupting. Keep emotions under control.
Mathematical Skills – Ability to add and subtract two digit numbers and to multiply and divide with 10s and 100s. Ability to perform these operations using units of American money and weight measurement, volume, and distance.
Oral Communication – Ability to communicate primarily in English. Speak clearly and persuasively in positive and/or negative situations. Listen and get clarification in order to respond to questions.
Planning/Organizing – Prioritize and plan work activities. Plan for additional resources. Set goals and objectives. Develop realistic action plans.
Problem Solving – Identify and resolves problems in a timely manner and demonstrates the ability to develop alternative solutions. Gather and analyze information in order to develop alternative solutions. Work well in group problem solving situations.
Professionalism – React well under pressure by keeping emotions under control.
Reasoning Ability – Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form.
Safety and Security – Observe safety and security procedures. Report, potentially, unsafe conditions. Use equipment and materials properly.
Technical Skills – Must be able to operate the following equipment: Steamer, tilt jacket kettle, tilt skillet, stove with 8 burners, convection oven, slicer, fry lator (deep fryer) and warmer. Assess own strengths and weaknesses. Pursue training and development opportunities. Strive to continuously build knowledge and skills. Share expertise with others.
Teamwork – Balance team and individual responsibilities. Exhibit objectivity and openness to others’ views and ideas and is willing to try new things. Give and welcomes feedback. Contribute to building a positive team spirit. Put success of team above own interests. Build morale and group commitments to goals and objectives. Support everyone’s efforts to succeed.
Written Communication – Able to read and interpret written information, primarily in English.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
High school diploma or equivalent; or one year related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Must demonstrate excellent customer service skills. Must be willing to work outside of normal schedule for catered events.
All employees are expected to commit to Christ and to the philosophy, ministry and vision of OCBF and to help the church to meet the spiritual, social, emotional and physical needs of the church family.
Members are asked to commit to:
- Consciously pursuing spiritual growth by participating in the vital experience of the church (Education, Fellowship, Outreach and Worship).
- Faithfully give at least 10% of their income to the ministry of OCBF.
- Faithfully serve in one of the ministries of the church in a volunteer capacity.
- Agree to read and function under the guidelines and authority of the Church Constitution and By-Laws.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.