download the study here
share this on
The Glory of Heaven
Heaven is the promised place in which, we as believers, expect to live during eternity. While mainstream culture may portray heaven as a myth, we must understand that belief in an actual heaven matters to the believer. If heaven is not real, then Jesus and God are both liars and do not deserve our trust for anything else because God speaks of it as a reality.
Our Lord gives us a glimpse into heaven throughout the Bible and refers to it as a concrete locale, He calls “My Father’s House” (John 14:2). The apostle Paul describes some of the mysteries of heaven in 2 Corinthians 12:1-6 as he recounts the third heaven and a paradise with inexpressible words being spoken. God is bigger than His creation, and thus cannot be contained by a particular dwelling (1 Kings 8:27), yet heaven is frequently described as His identifiable dwelling place and the eternal point of gathering for His family.
Heaven is a populated place. In heaven, all of God’s people over all time will live together (Hebrews 12:22-23). Angels, Old Testament saints, church saints, tribulation saints, and millennial saints will all dwell together. We will all live together in glorified bodies prepared for eternal life (1 John 3:2) and will have greater capacity to understand and appreciate our new home. (1 Corinthians 13:12).
What makes heaven special is the fact that we will be with Christ forever. Christ, the spiritual husband of the church, will perpetually be in the presence of His bride. The beauty of heaven is the eternal backdrop of this relationship. Heaven is the place where people will be finally reunited with their Creator in a place of perfect beauty, worship pleasure, and knowledge – forever operating in service to their Lord.
- When you think of heaven, what do you expect it to be like?
- After hearing today’s sermon, what did you learn about heaven that you didn’t know before?
- Review John 14:1-3. Why does belief in heaven matter? Have you ever encountered someone who claimed to believe God but talked about Heaven as if it were a fairytale? How would you address this according to the sermon?
- In John 14:1-3, Jesus says that He is going to prepare a place for you. Imagine heaven in light of the fact that it has been carefully prepared for you, with all of the glory and abundance of riches that God contains. Imagine what this type of place could possibly be like.
- Are you looking forward to personally being in Christ’s presence? Share your reasons with your group.
- Heaven is the final culmination of a relationship lived with and for Christ on earth. It will be the final place where a relationship with Christ exists in perfection. While this relationship cannot exist perfectly here on earth as we are not in His actual presence, it can exist. How would you describe the state of your personal relationship with Christ now? What can you do to improve it?
- Take a look at 1 Corinthians 3:10-15. What do these verses indicate about our heavenly home? If you truly believe in the written Word, what should your response be in your everyday life?
- Want to dig deeper? Take the time to look up the Scripture references listed in today’s sermon summary. Have different members of your group read from various Scriptures aloud. Doing so will give you a deeper understanding of concepts surrounding heaven and eternity.
“ In My Father’s house are many dwelling places; if it were not so, I would have told you; for I go to prepare a place for you.” John 14:2
Prophecy: A Preview of Coming Attractions
Part 1 - Why Prophecy Matters
Part 2 - The Key to Prophecy
Part 3 - Israel and the Church
Part 4 - Rapture of the Church
Part 5 - The Judgment Seat of Christ
Part 6 - The Coming Tribulation
Part 7 - The Second Coming of Christ
Part 8 - The Millennial Kingdom
Part 9 - The White Throne Judgment
Part 10 - What Happens When You Die
Part 11 - The Glory of Heaven
Watch Your Mouth
Part 1 - Dynamite In Your Dentures
Part 2 - Judgment In Your Jaws
Part 3 - Power in Your Palate
Part 4 - God in Your Gums
Part 5 - Victory in Your Voice
Part 6 - Lord Over Your Lips
Third: Receiving Back the Love You Give Weekly Study Guides
Part 1 - Activating the Golden Rule
Part 2 - Positioning Yourself for a Miracle
Part 3 - How to Handle Crisis
Part 4 - The Fast That God Chooses
Finding God’s Direction for Your Life
The Unpredictable Path of Faith
Mother’s Who Believed God
Say “Thank You”
It Ain't Over