Part 7: Reversing Addiction Consequences
Jesus didn’t leave the people without an exit plan to avoid slavery; He explains to them that it is the truth of God’s Word that will set them free. (John 8:31) God’s Word has the power to uproot something that has been stuck. His Word alone can help us conquer the sin that is amplified in our lives. The root of a stronghold is sin and sin is a spiritual issue. If we do not attack sin in the spiritual realm we are not attacking the root cause of our problem. Many of us attempt to fix our spiritual issues in the flesh yet this will not work. It’s possible, we devise our own solutions to breaking strongholds like addictions, because going to God’s Word first seems too simple. However, as we learn to abide in the truth of His Word, we will find that truth weakens the hold of sin.
So how can we seek freedom from addiction through abiding in the truth of God’s Word? We cannot merely read it and know it factually; we abide in it by reciting it, thinking about it, praying through it, living it and seeking accountability for it. As we go deeper and deeper, the Word will become a tool to uproot the cause of any crisis a person may have. There are people who don’t want to get rid of their sin; they may say they want a solution when they really just want the sin. It’s only when we truly want to avoid the damage sin does – when we truly come to hate the sin – that we will get serious enough to seek God in order to break the fortress of strongholds in our lives.
- What has been the most impactful truth you have learned so far in the “U-Turn” series? How have you applied that truth to your life?
- How does this week’s message affect your understanding of the causes and cures of addition?
- Is there a specific sin pattern that you may have picked up from your parents? Are you currently dispensing those same patterns to any of your family members?
- There are two things that hinder us from overcoming generational consequences: 1) at times we may say we want victory over a sinful pattern but we are not truly repentant, or 2) we may be deceived into thinking we are stuck in that sin and cannot get out. Have you ever received deliverance from a sinful pattern in your own life? How did you overcome these hindrances listed above?
- What practical steps can you take after hearing today’s message that will help you deal with strongholds in your life?
- Want to go deeper? Take time to look at the follow passages: Romans 6:1-23; Matthew 16:21-26; 2 Corinthians 1:1-6 ; Galatians 5:16-24; Romans 8:1-13; Hebrews 4:12.
U Turn: Reversing Your Consequences
Part 7: Reversing Addiction Consequences
Part 6: Reversing Discrimination Consequences
Part 5: Reversing Generational Consequences
Part 4: Reversing Irreversible Consequences
Part 3: Reversing Incurable Consequences
Part 2: Reversing Spiritual Consequences
Part 1: The Key to Your Reversal
Part 1: Why Sin Matters
Part 2: The Strategy of Satan
Part 3: Sin’s Deathtrap
Part 4: Sowing & Reaping
Part 5: Understanding the Passive Wrath of God
Part 6: Free to Choose
Part 1: The Key to Becoming an Overcomer
Part 2: The Priority of an Overcomer
Part 3: The Faithfulness of an Overcomer
Part 4: The Conviction of an Overcomer
Part 5: The Intolerance of an Overcomer
Part 6: The Commitment of an Overcomer
Part 7: The Obedience of an Overcomer
Part 8: The Authenticity of an Overcomer
The Triumphant Trip to Heaven
Part 1 - Preparation for Glory
Part 2 - Passion for Your Journey
Part 3 - Faith for Your Journey
Part 4 - Supplements for Your Journey
Part 5 - Growth for Your Journey
Part 6 - Failure in Your Journey
Part 7 - Chosen for the Journey
Part 8 - Completion of the Journey
The Eternal Perspective
Part 1 - The Motivation for Ministry
Part 2 - Living in Light of Eternity
Part 3 - Loving the Wrong World
Part 4 - Changing Vanity into Victory
Part 5 - The Key to Being Truly Rich
Part 6 - The Reassurance of a Heavenly Perspective
Part 7 - From Heaven to Earth
Part 8 - The Heavenly Broadcast Network
Part 9 - Pursuing Your Heavenly Citizenship
Part 10 - Preparing for Eternity
Finding God’s Direction for Your Life
The Unpredictable Path of Faith
Mother’s Who Believed God
Say “Thank You”
It Ain't Over
Waiting on God
Be Careful How You Build