Our Counseling Ministry offers an exciting and interactive premarital counseling process for unmarried couples that are NOT living together. Marriage God's way is a lifelong commitment of a covenantal union between a man and woman and should not be entered into lightly.
If you are thinking about marriage or already engaged to be married, allow our Counseling Ministry to help you discover God's amazing truths regarding marriage so that you are personally and spiritually prepared to make this very important lifelong commitment.
Want to have an OCBF staff Pastor/Minister officiate your wedding? Once you have completed the OCBF Pre-Marital class, contact the assistant of the officiant you wish to perform the ceremony to confirm they are available. You will be asked to provide your certificate of completion from the class.
Premarital counseling is designed to:
- Help you understand your past and family history and share it with your partner.
- Understand the expectations you and your partner bring into the marriage. Provide a framework to ask challenging questions about your relationships and assist you in discerning God's will.
- Examine and discuss biblical truths to learn God’s principles of marriage.
- Address issues for those who were previously married and/or have children.
- Develop a spiritual discipline that will keep your marriage healthy in years to come.
- Become confident and secure in your decision to marry (or perhaps not to marry).
- Identify your strengths and weakness and much more.
- Introductory Session: Orientation, personality assessment and intake process.
- Expectations in Marriage: Deal with issues and family histories, Learn to accept, adjust and abandon expectations.
- Marriage-God’s Plan: Receiving your mate as God’s provision, leaving behind your dependence and allegiance to parents, cleaving solely to your mate and becoming one flesh.
- Making My Decision: Helping you move from “Do I?” to “I DO!” or “I DON’T.”
- Personality Assessment: Discover how well you and your mate harmonize with each other.
- Communication: Learn to listen, express yourselves and resolve conflicts to enhance communication and encourage intimacy in marriage.
- Roles & Responsibilities: Learn the biblical roles for husbands and wives and how to implement them.
- Finances: Discover how to make your financial goals and decisions relying on God; He owns everything and we are only stewards of His resources.
- Sex: Understand God’s plan to develop complete physical, emotional and spiritual intimacy in marriage.
When determining your session, we advise beginning your first class at least six months prior to your anticipated wedding date. Please allow for the last class to be at least 12 weeks before the wedding date. Sessions are 8 – 10 weeks and are offered four times a year, classes are weekly.
COST per couple: $135.00/OCBF member; $160.00/non-members. $35.00 of this fee is payable after class begins to the Prepare-Enrich website for your Online Assessment which gives a snapshot of where you are individually and as a couple. The rest of the fee ($100 for members and $125 for nonmembers) is payable during registration and covers the Preparing for Marriage workbook and class materials.
Space is limited. Please register early by contacting the Counseling ministry at 214-672-9152 or by clicking the links for the next session.